RSS Feed for this Blog

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Travers Update

Bellamy Road is the 2-1 morning line favorite in the Travers, and has drawn the rail.

"The horse is 2-1," his trainer, Nick Zito, said Wednesday after the draw for post positions. "He's 2-1 regardless of everything. That's what this horse does. He's the morning-line favorite. How much more juice can you bring to a race than being the favorite?" [NY Times]
What the hell is he talking about? Maybe Nick should have a drug positive and score one of those Dutrow vacation type deals. Reading comments by the riders of Roman Ruler and Flower Alley, it seems clear that neither will be putting early pressure on Bellamy Road. Jerry Bailey, riding Roman Ruler told the Times: “I'm not convinced Bellamy Road is dead fit, so I'm not going to compromise my chances and go after him too early.....But I respect him enough that I don't want to let him get away." John Velasquez, on Flower Alley, told the Racing Form “If [Bellamy Road] is in front by five, I'm just going to leave him alone, and when Jerry comes to me, we'll both use our horse at the same time instead of me trying to get after him." It could be a matter of Bellamy Road alone on the lead and let's see just how fit he is. Roman Ruler and Flower Alley are talented colts that seem to be improving, and either or both could certainly be right there if Zito's horse is a bit short.

0 Comments: