RSS Feed for this Blog

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Exit Durkin, Enter Irrelevant Musical Choices for Belmont Day

Back from Florida, where my daughter Kayla graduated from the University of Miami.

















I guess this is an appropriate photo for the times in which we live.















Yeah, I'm pretty proud of her!

A couple of relevant news items caught my attention upon my return.  Tom Durkin has announced his retirement as the track announcer at NYRA after 24 years.  Some quick math reveals that he started in 1990, coming from the Meadowlands, where he called harness races (strangely, that stint was omitted from all of the news reports that I've seen).  It's been a great ride for Durkin.  However, his retirement, effective after the August 31 program at Saratoga, cannot come as a surprise to anyone who's heard his labored calls this year.

There will of course be much speculation as to his replacement. Personally, I rarely get the kind of chills from race calls that I did way back when. Maybe I've just heard too many of them.  Or perhaps it's because there just is not the kind of young talent with the kind of genuine enthusiasm who used to get me all pumped up.   Dave Johnson, Chic Anderson and, on the harness side, Ed Gorman.  Some of the greatest races I ever saw, I never actually saw at all.  The race calls told the whole story.  It's been a long time since anybody has gotten me as excited as those guys used to.

Having said that, there are plenty of fine announcers out there.  Two of them recently got high profile jobs which they perhaps wouldn't have applied for if they'd been paying closer attention to the racing at NYRA over the last year or so.  Personally, and those hirings notwithstanding, I think Vic Stauffer is the best guy out there, and he's not calling races anywhere these days.  I'd be thrilled to hear him call races here.  Kurt Becker (Keeneland) and Frank Mirahmadi (Oaklawn) would be fine choices as well.  [UPDATE: And definitely should have mentioned John Dooley (Arlington/Fair Grounds) as well; thanks to reader ljk.]

And then, there is the announcement of the entertainment choices for Belmont Stakes day.  Oh, boy.  Well, anyone who's followed this blog over the years when I had time to write about music, or has seen my occasionally-updated Playlist selections, knows that I wouldn't be happy unless the acts were booked by Bowery Presents or Todd P or Chris White. But I don't even know what to say about this. I thought at least they'd book bands that would actually draw people even if they were the wimpy pop or faux-punk crap that dominates what passes for "popular" rock music these days.  LL Cool J was cool 20 years ago.  I didn't know (nor care if) Frank Sinatra Jr was still alive....and Bernie Williams?  Seriously?   Chris Kay said: "We want everyone to come out and kick off the New York summer party season with a great afternoon of racing, complemented by a great day of entertainment and enhanced food and beverage options."  Guess we'll have to settle for the racing and food.

15 Comments:

ljk said...

I'd throw John Dooley's name into the mix. Though summers in Chicago and winters in NOLA is a pretty sweet gig.

I agree Stauffer is best available.

Alan Mann said...

Ah yes, John Dooley, definitely should have mentioned him.

jk said...

Bernie is playing the Champagne Room--sweet!

Figless said...

I was very disappointed with the entertainment selections but at least it wont distract me from the business at hand.

Entirely predictable based on their choices for the Friday night twilight shows. The TV producers who select the samples on the in-house feed have much better taste.

Anonymous said...

I have to wonder if Durkin (who I believe was the greatest race caller ever) somehow had it out for Larry Collmus. He takes the job at Churchill and then weeks later Durkin announces he is walking away? I know there is a prestige to calling at Churchill, but this is New York, which next to California, is THE place to call races.

Dan said...

Tom Durkin resigned his position with NBC to call the triple crown. He was having anxiety form the pressure & stepped aside. This was publicized when he stepped down. I don't think his decision was about Larry. He was planning on retiring in 2015 but decided it was time. I'm not sure how Larry's contract works- years, opt out ect. We shall see who takes over.

msn said...

Congrats Proud Papa, you have a beautiful daughter. Best wishes to her....

August Song said...

Congratulations, Alan, and Best Wishes for your daughter on her future endeavors!


As I have espoused, and suggested many times, Chris Kay is an idiot!
There is noting worse than political corruption and it's appointees, is there?

And, so much for transparency, huh? Did you see, and read what Noonan had to do, in exposing the fraud Skorton, who was trying so hard not to reveal to the public:

http://tenoonan.com/2014/4/15/nyra-releases-ceos-performance-goals/

http://tenoonan.com/2014/05/05/nyras-ceo-has-a-sweet-deal/

Figless said...

AS - You may disagree with his job performance but Chris Kay is no idiot. The fact that he negotiated a contract on which only he has the power to fire or rehire himself proves exactly the opposite.

He will be credited with making NYRA a profitable operation after decades of red ink, which will look quite good on his resume'.

No one is going to remember the minutia.

August Song said...

I think not, Fig. Kay's brain dead approach, will only result, in less people going to the races at NYRA racetracks. Econ 101 says one does not increase prices, when customer interest is already declining. I used to go to Belmont regularly, but guess what? I haven't been there once, and I have no interest in going to pay for Kay's inflated salary, and his folly. None of my friends have gone either. Kay's idiocy comes shining through.

Figless said...

I commend you on your personal stand but suspect the vast majority will not notice the increase or care if they do notice. We will know for sure soon enough.

I have brought hundreds of people to Belmont and Saratoga over the years and not once did someone ask how much it costs to get in, or care when they were charged.

I just arranged a seat for the Stakes for a friend, and when I told him it was $70 his comments was "That's all??".

I wish they didn't have to increase prices inflation is a fact of life especially in the sports world.

Figless said...

PS - not to go crazy on this but the reason basic economics 101 is not applicable is because admission is a small percentage of the cost of that days entertainment.

Most people arrive with a good amount of money in their pocket to gamble, so the admission cost is irrelevant.

No one I know ever left the track crying over the cost of admission, so I predict the increase will have negligible if any effect on attendance.

Anonymous said...

Vic S. is a lousy announcer. Hope your daughter has a job.

Anonymous said...

Durkin was a great one, no doubt, but I still vote for Fred Caposella, perhaps because he was the race caller for my first season at The Spa in 1965. I also have a video of the Jaipur-Ridan Travers 1963 which showcased Cappy's brilliant race calling talents. I can still remember his daily Saratoga announcement: "Daily Double Windows close promptly at 1:50"

Anonymous said...

Anonymous a/k/a Green Mtn Punter