RSS Feed for this Blog

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Stevie Haskinboy

- I guess there’s not much going on since I see people turning their attention to the Kentucky Derby. Steve Haskin has his first Kentucky Derby Trail article at bloodhorse.com today.

What better way to begin than by cruelly putting enormous pressure on Stevie Wonderboy, proclaiming him one of those rare 2-year-old champions (to be) that look to have all the tools to win not only the Derby, but...nope, I won't dare say it.
Er, didn’t he say basically the same thing about First Samurai a couple of weeks ago? Yup, he did.

Well, I have this silly rule that I don’t start speculating that a horse can win the Triple Crown until he’s at least won around two turns, and this colt hasn’t even tried it as of yet. So, despite the breeding that says he’ll have no trouble with that, I’ll reserve judgment for now. Haskin also asks: And how can you not root for Merv Griffin, who could become racing's greatest ambassador since Jack Klugman back in 1980.

Well, there’s the matter of the $25,000 he gave to the Republican National Committee before last year’s presidential election, so personally, I have no problem rooting against him. Given his wealth, you’d think he could hire somebody (like me) who knows what he/she is talking about to write the blurb on his website (www.merv.com) about his prized thoroughbred.
It was also the first time a horse at the Breeders’ Cup had not raced for 52 days, a deliberate strategy that paid off big for Griffin and O’Neill.

And, for the first time in 20 years, the Beyers (considered the best indicator of which horse is best on a scale of 1-100) went over the top and gave Stevie Wonderboy a 104.
Damn, and to think I didn’t bet him because of that stupid 52-day rule.

0 Comments: