RSS Feed for this Blog

Monday, June 02, 2008

Helping Hints

- I'm always happy to share my thoughts on upcoming races; perhaps a bit too much so as far as some of you are concerned. I prefer however to keep my secret proprietary information to myself. For example, the knowledge and expertise I've acquired in getting around the racetrack, especially those in New York. That comes in handy on big race days like Saturday, and it wouldn't be quite so if everyone else knew about them.

However, since I like you guys and there's relatively few of you in the big scheme of things, I'll share a few general helping hints.

As some commenters mentioned, by all means you need to bring a chair with you if you don't have seats in front and plan to hang in the part (highly recommended). Plenty of chairs, benches and tables there for just about any other racing day other than this. The earlier the better for prime spots obviously, but it's a large park. (The past couple of years, large swaths have been occupied by tents; I'm hoping NYRA is smart enough to not have that this year.) Be aggressive and squeeze (politely) into any empty patch if you must; everyone will understand. A sheet or blanket is useful to stake your claim. Some people rope off areas with police tape, but I consider that to be rude. So please don't do it. There are nooks and crannies behind and below trees, and elsewhere, so look around.

If you do have seats, I strongly suggest that you spend at least some time in the back, and that you bring a light long sleeve shirt or sweater for later in the evening. That's right, I know it's supposed to be 81 degrees, but you'll thank me on Sunday, especially if you're hanging for the late double.

One more thing about the back - just because a spot is in the sun when you get there at noon, of course doesn't mean it will be all day, and vice versa. The sun sets behind the trees in the back, out towards the direction of the top of the stretch.

The biggest concern I'm sure a lot of people have is getting bets in. One commenter wrote: Make your bets at least 15mtp, and preferably two or three races at a time.

While I can't of course be absolutely sure of what the betting lines are going to be like, I will say this: almost without exception (and without one in New York), I have always been able to find a spot to get a bet in without a major hassle. People put a lot of effort into handicapping; but I find it funny how little many seem willing to do to fine some windows or machines where you don't have wait long at all. There's always a mutuel bay with short or even with no lines, if you're just willing to look. Go up, walk out away from the finish line, and peek in the back. It's not at all unusual for there to be long lines at the windows facing the track, but virtually none on the other side...and that's not an exaggeration at all. I saw it just yesterday in the backyard; lengthy lines at the windows facing the paddock, totally empty ones on the other side.

So I suggest that you make a point of exploring and checking things out in the minutes leading up to post time of the first few races - even if you're not betting; isn't it worth it in the end? If an area has lines for the first couple of races, forget about them. The real crunch doesn't come until around the 6th, so if there are lines early, they'll be impossible later on. You'll know that you've found the best area if you see me there. (This is the one day of the year that I generally end up wagering exclusively with people tellers rather than the machines.)

Even if you just can't find any bays with manageable lines with several minutes to go, you'll often see those lines completely disappear at certain bays by post time. Believe me, NYRA does not want to see you get shut out, and sometimes 0 minutes to go is the best time to get a wager in if you're in the right spot.

And there's always the phone account (use NYRA's, of course).

OK, I think I"ve said enough now. If I'm in a good mood later on in the week, maybe I'll talk about getting there on the back roads...

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

RE: I prefer however to keep my secret proprietary information to myself.

Thats it Alan give us the shaft.

RE: maybe I'll talk about getting there on the back roads...

maybe u should keep that secret back road info to yourself and keep ur once and a while winning joke piks to yourself also. That guy ws right they should be labeled as joke piks.

SaratogaSpa said...

Agreed on finding a place to bet. Just look around, you might have to walk a litte bit, but you will find a short line. Belmont Park is Huge, and if you explore and are good at figuring things out, you will get your bets in for every race. I find it funny when people complain about big crowds for big events.This is NY, we get crowds for big events-think Yankees, Rangers, Giants etc. This is a big event with a horse with NY connections-people will come out, some will stay home because of gas prices, but alot (my guess over 100,000 plus) will be there and we will all survive. And we, most anyway, will have fun. After all we are at the track !

El Angelo said...

Good advice all around Alan. I will disagree on one point though: there's no need to bet multiple races at a time if you time getting in line accordingly. Frankly, the most annoying people on Belmont day are the once-a-year goers who bet the Belmont at 1:30 in the afternoon with 3 minutes to post on another race; it confuses the hell out of the already barely-competent mutuel clerk and slows up the line for no good reason. What I'd love to see them try is a bunch of windows devoted only to Belmont Stakes wagers.

Anonymous said...

And a bunch of windows for novices, which i saw at Arlington.

Your "need" to play a few races at a time may be less depending on where you are located, but I find it more enjoyable that way.

I do my homework in advance and rarely bet favorites, so shopping for odds is really not a necessity, at least this day.

I HAVE noticed that IF you wait, there will be no lines with 10mtp before the Belmont itself, everyone will be out front trying to get a picture of Brownie.

I am not sharing my secret back road methods either, some things are proprietary.

Anonymous said...

And a bunch of windows for novices, which i saw at Arlington.

Your "need" to play a few races at a time may be less depending on where you are located, but I find it more enjoyable that way.

I do my homework in advance and rarely bet favorites, so shopping for odds is really not a necessity, at least this day.

I HAVE noticed that IF you wait, there will be no lines with 10mtp before the Belmont itself, everyone will be out front trying to get a picture of Brownie.

I am not sharing my secret back road methods either, some things are proprietary.