RSS Feed for this Blog

Friday, June 03, 2005

2 Year Olds - Dead and Alive

- There were two baby races at Belmont today and D. Wayne Lukas won them both. Folklore took the second easily as the 3-2 co-favorite. She’s a daughter of Tiznow, the 2 time BC Classic and multiple Eclipse award winner whose first crop is 2 this year. He stands for $30,000 at Winstar Farm, and while as a son of Cee's Tizzy he’ll have to prove himself in order to attain the type of stud fee worthy of his race record, he’s been successful in the sales ring thus far. He had 42 yearlings sell for an average of $144,000 last year; and his 2 year olds in training this year have averaged over $186,000. Folklore is Tiznow’s first winner. She’s out of an unraced Storm Cat mare, and her 2nd and 3rd dams, Jeano and Basie, are both graded stakes winners.

In the 4th, it was Short Circuit, the second choice at 5-2, also winning easily. He’s a son of Lemon Drop Kid out of a Danzig mare; his second dam is La Spia, winner of the Del Mar Debutante, and second by a head at 29-1 to the eventual 2 yo champ, the ill-fated Pleasant Stage in the 1991 BC Juvenile Fillies. (If you can open that link and see the race chart, you'll see that Preach finished 7th as the 2-1 favorite; she's the dam of Pulpit, the sire who's been attracting attention of late.) Pleasant Stage died the next year of an allergic reaction to a vaccine, according to Pedigree Query.

Both 2 year-old winners are owned by Bob and Beverly Lewis.

- I found this page cached from the now defunct Thoroughbred Times Forum while doing some research for this post and it’s pretty funny.....or actually, maybe not. But I just found it rather amusing (or actually, maybe not) that someone would take the time to compile what seems to be intended as a list of the cause of death of every stakes winner in the history of the world....or something along those lines. There are more dead horses here than you'll ever want to see. There are breakdowns, colon cancer, heart attacks, fractured skulls, lightning strikes, neurological complications, tetanus, ruptured uterine arteries, murders, a drive by, a collision with Timely Writer, and much, much more. This is the kind of stuff that could get the sport some big ratings as a TV drama or reality show.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah...the brave little Tizzy! ;-) What a gutsy horse. Hope he does well romancing the "ladies"

I always loved the Lemon Drop Kid. I remember he was a good consistant horse and mighty fine looker, too.

The first horse I ever bet on was a near black filly named Polka Dot Veil. She was by Round Table x Nas Mahal and was trained by Whittingham and ridden by the Shoe. She won easily and I have never forgotten the gorgeous creature. (nor have I ever forgotten the signature I got from The Shoe after the race)

I was heartbroken to hear that she was killed by a bolt of lightning when she was in her paddock back in KY.

I don't know if I want to look at that list of horsie deaths...although curiosity will drive me to do it ultimately...but I don't want to see any other horses I "knew"

Anonymous said...

Oh...god. I went and looked. I haven't followed the ponies as closely as I had in the past (the soon to be ex thought it a waste of time.)

I had no idea that Free House is gone. Oh...and seeing Sweet Diane's name on their reminded me of that horrible race.

Oh...god.

but...how does a horse do this? I certainly hope he wasn't driving.

Looie Capote 1989-1995 6yo died in a car accident

I'm off to cry a little now.

Alan Mann said...

Jillian -

Be strong. Maybe you should rent The Black Stallion or something like that.

Alan

P.S. Is Polka Dot Veil on the list? :-/

Anonymous said...

Didn't see Polka Dot...

Oh...and if you really want to see me cry, rent the Black Stallion! ;-)