RSS Feed for this Blog

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Highland Cat Shows Turn of Speed

- Highland Cat showed uncharacteristic speed today, and opened up a sizeable lead - 4 1/2 lengths at the stretch call! Oh man. The chart comment reads: "Highland Cat, three wides on both turns, opened a clear lead approaching the stretch, and gave way grudgingly." How do you get caught three wides on both turns from the four post, I'm not sure.

- Two more losing first-out juveniles for Pletcher in the 5th, this time on the turf, and at 3-1. Lucky Copy was the same price in the 2nd race, so a lot more money down the drain on these. Sherine took the 5th, stretching out and switching to grass for Anthony Dutrow in his second career race. This barn's stats in the latter category is quite remarkable - 20 for 50 over the last year coming into today!

- I've resolved to be more positive about TVG. While I think my criticisms have been more than fair, they do some solid work when they broadcast from the tracks, as they are from Monmouth today. But having said that, I could do without Matt Carrother's 58 Flat program at this point, though I enjoy the host and the show from the studio; this is nothing but an infomercial for Monmouth, with useless interviews with fans. But I'm sure I'll have some nicer things to say once Todd Schrmppff and G Stevens awake from their naps and get back on the air.

4 Comments:

Jim L said...

Eric Donovan, the NYRA handicapper, went down swinging. His Grand Slam pick on Sunday: he had NONE! Not one of his horses even hit the board! He picked two in the first leg, one in the second, third, and for the fourth leg, he went with Fishy Advice, which just happens to be what he gave all those t-shirt spinners.

Jim L said...

Maybe Pletcher has decided there is more value in winning Grade I's than having all those 2yo winning paltry ALW races..........

There is NO chance of Rags to Riches ever running against the boys again, not after AGS's impressive win at MTH.

Anonymous said...

.58 flat is a really good program. Especially good when done live at the track. OK, there are some corny preplanned jokes but the overall program encourages people to go to the track -- any track! It's still funny in the studio -- I have been known to arrange my lunch break around it. So get off your high(land) horse and enjoy! I bet $2 Matt will beat your butt if you take him on!

Alan Mann said...

I like 58 flat, and I like Matt. It just seemed ill-timed on a day in which there was a lot of good racing going on. I would have preferred to hear about the races than to hear about what Joe Schmo was eating and drinking. Does that help bring people to the track? Not the ones who are watching TVG on a summer Sunday afternoon, in my opinion.