RSS Feed for this Blog

Monday, September 10, 2007

Breeders' Cup Blogging

- So, here's a little announcement I have to make, which will partly explain my absence for the last 48 hours or so. I'm happy to inform you that the folks at the Breeders' Cup have shown the good taste to hire yours truly to blog on their site. I've actually known about this for awhile, but waited until now to announce it here. Honestly, I've been more than a little nervous about it, and didn't want to make a big deal only for them to see my first post and tell me to take a hike. However, that initial entry should be up at some point soon (I'll provide a direct link as soon as I get it); and I expect to do a couple of posts a week there, and then more during the week of the event. In addition, I'll be getting press credentials for the races and plan to blog extensively about the whole experience right here. I've been assured that I'm free to say what's on my mind there (within reason, of course), and I think you'll find that my first post is evidence that I'm not expected to merely tow the company line.

So, they'll be a couple of changes here at LATG. For one thing, going commercial always involves some sacrifice - call it 'selling out' if you wish - so don't expect to see me writing about the Breeders' Cup or their executives and trustees in the same terms that I occasionally have for, say.....Empire Racing. And secondly, a lot of the Breeders' Cup-related material that I would normally post here will instead appear there. But that still leaves a lot to discuss, and I intend to continue my writing here on a regular basis.

As usual, I'd like to thank all of you, my dear readers, for visiting and coming back on a regular basis. They contacted me to write for them, and that obviously wouldn't have happened without those of you who have helped the web stats grow.

And I want to thank my talented colleagues of the Thoroughbred Bloggers Alliance (the TBA) for their continued gracious support and encouragement. As usual, I urge you to check them all out, and the links to each are listed in the right sidebar. And after you're done with that, please come back as my regularly scheduled posting will resume shortly.

15 Comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great Alan..............
You deserve it!!!!!!! Congrats
But does this mean there will be no more posting about obscene ticket prices and parking prices ?
Can you ask for pass credentials for all your readers or is it too late to negotiate that ? haha

Anonymous said...

Congrats, I couldn't be happier for you, you truly deserve the opportunity.

Looking forward to your insight.

Mr. Ed

Patrick J Patten said...

been waiting for the bc site update all morning. let's go already. did they get a nice shot for the bi-line

Anonymous said...

Congrats Alan, well deserved. Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Alan, you deserve it 100%.

And forget about being nervous...there's no one in the country who's better-qualified for the job. All of us here @ LATG know that.

Alan Mann said...

> did they get a nice shot for the bi-line

I'll be posing for the Head Photographer this evening.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!

Jen R said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congrats big man, keep up the good work. And dont leave the LATG

Brett

Anonymous said...

Not at all surprised that the BC people recognized your writing talent- let me add my congrats to the many I know you are receiving! Am surprised that DRF, the Bloodhorse, Horseplayer, et al haven't put you on as a blogger/ stringer by now. Whatever new opportunities come your way I hope that you don't give up the blog format, it's really a wonderful tool as Steve Crist discovered during the Saratoga meet. All of your loyal LATG readers will be watching for your upcoming coverage of the 2007 Breeders Cup! Good luck, Alan! /s/Green Mtn Punter

Superfecta said...

Congrats again -- can't wait for the fun to begin!

JMW said...

Another congrats to add to the pile -- that's terrific...

Anonymous said...

A whole afternoon at the Spa together and not a peep about this? Spitzer should have had you in charge of checking up on Bruno's flight plans.

Nice going. I'm sure you are in for a great experience as are we, your reader-groupies.

t said...

The shocking thing to me is that they or some major publication did not snapped you up earlier. It's widely accepted that you put out the best racing blog worldwide. They've done themselves, as well as content starved racing fans everywhere, a solid by signing you on. Go gettem'.

Anonymous said...

Good for you. I have enjoyed your blog for quite some time and look forward to your new gig

Jim L said...

Way to go Alan!

By the way, maybe they will read this blog comment post........please, no long-winded and sappy pieces about Lawyer's Ron's deceased owner, and we know there won't be any packages on the Curlin ownership dealings.

As for actual racing, let's see the HEAD ON of the start for once on a national broadcast of the sport! Also, for the BC, let's see COLORED SADDLECLOTHS and microphones of fan enthusiasm being chimed in as they come down the stretch.

Let's see a scroll of real-time odds on the live coverage! If the online wagering sites are dropped from consideration in streaming the races, then somehow get the odds up there on a regular basis, even using "squeeze back" coverage. Hey, they have a lot of other outlets, why not a separate Breeders Cup Channel on either ESPN News or ESPNU or one of the other ones to display all that would be seen at a simulcast facility....like real-time odds and countless video shots of the horses in the paddock and warming up. Don't shut out the interests of those who wager during the course of the calendar year, and who don't just show up on BC Day.

The BC is ESPN. And why not have a one hour show of The Works be broadcast on ESPN for crying out loud!