RSS Feed for this Blog

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sunday Morning Notes

So, I know that you guys are sophisticated enough so that you know that when I write something like: I'd take 6-1 to find out in this field for sure, as I did about Cable yesterday in speculating about her ability to get the distance of The Very One Stakes, I don't have to subsequently explain that I didn't bet her as the 7-2 favorite, right? Having said that, her distance ability looks just fine in the wake of her rally from 13th for the show spot. The winner, Changing Skies, 15-1 in the morning line and coming off a layoff for Mott, was sent off at 4-1. EZ game. Daughter of Sadlers Wells becomes the latest middling Euro performer to become a graded stakes winner in the US.

Amen Hallelujah ($6) and Radiohead ($5.20) were both winners, for Dutrow and IEAH, at short odds in their first races on real dirt. Congrats if you had them....I'd still bet against these types every time, regardless of which jockeys ended up on whom. I can't cleverly quote any lyrics from the band of the same name as the latter; while I admire their enlightened attitude towards downloading, I find their music to be boring, sorry. However, they do have a song called Creep, don't they, and that seems to describe the horse's connections quite well!

As this reader pointed out, Miner's Reserve graduated in the following race in the same time as Radiohead; and no doubt given his connections of Zito/LaPenta, and as also pointed out, he "will undoubtedly be placed aggressively in his next start." This son of Mineshaft has some interesting inbreeding here; 3x3 to Mr. Prospector, 4x3 to Tom Rolfe, which you don't see every day, and 4x4 to Secretariat and his half-brother Sir Gaylord. He's out of a Forty Niner mare, and this is the direct distaff family of the Kentucky Oaks winner Dispute, and the Champagne winner Adjudicating.

Like my friend Teresa, my racing Sunday will end at 3 PM today for the US-Canada gold medal hockey game....but root for Canada because it means more to them??? I don't think so!! Harumph! The Canadians looked rather rattled in the frantic closing minutes against Slovakia, and they and their desperate fans could be a bit tight in the opening minutes. Roberto Luongo has not really been tested, and it might behoove the Americans to show him ample rubber early in the match. Would a 4-3 US win on a Ryan Callahan shorthanded goal be too much to ask?

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Alan, I am a bit surprised at your extreme nationalism vis-a-vis the Canadians in the big game. I,too, am rooting for USA, but with an all North American gold medal game, what is not to like? How can we lose? Hockey's center of gravity remains on this continent no matter the outcome. /S/greenmtnpunter

Teresa said...

Truth be told, I'll be happy if the US wins--but happier if Canada does. Perhaps a friendly pre-NYR bourbon wager on the outcome?

And certainly, a stupendous showing by Drury/Callahan today will make heading back to the Garden pretty exciting. I can't say that I'm looking forward to a return to NYR stultifying hockey after this.

Anonymous said...

Proudly nationalist!

USA,USA,USA!!!

Cooler is stocked with my red, white and blue cans of Bud (I know, owned by Euros).

Anonymous said...

USA, USA, USA

However deep in the pit of my stomach I feel a Canadian victory....................SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friends in Toronto tell me they are gong to crush us......

Alan Mann said...

>>Perhaps a friendly pre-NYR bourbon wager on the outcome?

You're on! But you have to give me 2 1/2 goals. :-)

Anonymous said...

tough beat great game.