RSS Feed for this Blog

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Wednesday Saratoga Notes

- The rains finally came today, a big one which turned the track to slop for the last three, including an off-the-turfer that scratched down to a field of 4, from an original field of 14 including AE's and MTO's, yuck. With the 2 steeplechase races, there wasn't much fast/firm action on track. The third was a 2 yo maiden race, and I was watching the betting pools online. Doc O Dynamite, trained by Steve Asmussen, got the early money, and Political Force, trained by Allan Jerkins got pounded late. At 5-2 was Pletcher/Velazquez with Philosopher King.

This time the early money prevailed. First time starter Doc O Dynamite, by the highly successful juvenile sire Successful Appeal, drifted up to 3-1, shot to the lead, fought off Pletcher's colt in a 21:3 1st quarter, drew out to a big lead while under a comfortable hold by Bailey and held off Political Force for a 2 1/4 length win. It's Asmussen's second first time 2yo winner in 2 tries this meet, with the other being Halo Humor ($8.80) on 7/29.

Pletcher's only other starter was in the 4th, the 2 yo filly state-bred turf affair I wrote about yesterday. His first timer Summer Palace was favored from the start, and went off 8-5. My pick Mohegan Sky was 5-1. I had written that I would use Summer Palace in the exactas, but the payoffs were anemic with her and Mohegan Sky. On the other hand, the payoffs with the three horse entry (3-1) were extremely generous, over $50 either way. So I bet the exacta both ways, and when Pletcher's horse checked sharply down the backstretch, it seemed I had a shot with Mohegan Sky sitting in 4th and two of the entrymates on top. But then I felt pretty crappy when I heard 8-1 Peg's Prayer whizzing by to get second to My Interpretation, part of the betting entry, with Castellano, riding well on the turf. Peg's Prayer is trained by Randy Shulhoefer, who scored with Captiva Bay on the grass on 7/28 with Castellano aboard.

The winner, My Interpretation, is, I believe, the first winner for her sire Freud, as I've mentioned, a full brother to Giant's Causeway standing at Lakland North in NY for $5,000. My Interpretation is out of a winning mare by Gold Alert (Mr. Prospector)and she's a half to a couple of stakes winners, Agnes Wing and Sea Span. For trainer John Kimmel, it's his first winner of the meet. Mike Hushion got his first win in the 6th.

Galloping Grocer got beat in the 8th at even money, and he's burned more money than Halliburton. Since his last win, which was back in October, he's gotten beat at 6-5 (against Rockport Harbor), .55-1, 6-5, and .85-1 (plus his losses in the Wood and Preakness).

0 Comments: