RSS Feed for this Blog

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Preakness Notes - May 19

- Just caught Mike Smith on TVG, and he sounds extremely confident. “I really believe we haven’t seen the best of him; you guys oughta see the way he looks right now....I’m very confident he’s gonna run huge.” Ken Rudolph was cheering him on. I never posted about his having Giacomo in the Derby; it was pretty great TV when they caught him watching the finish. The whole TVG crew of he, Frank Lyons, and Todd Schrmph seem to be liking him, or at least believe he deserves far more respect than he’s getting. (“6-1, are you kidding me?”)

I’m still trying to figure this Preakness, but I don’t think I’m going to end up with Giacomo on top. I’d be happy if he wins whether I have him or not, so it’s almost like a hedge to not bet him. I’ll accept my losses if it means a big Belmont and a win for connections that have been classy and humble.

The Derby champ made his first appearance on the Pimlico track today. His exercise rider said he got a good hold of the track, ``and nothing seemed to bother him. He's a happy horse.''

Asked if he noticed any changes in Giacomo, [Frankie] Herrarte said: ``Other than getting bigger and stronger? Not really.'' [Bloodhorse]

- Maryland’s all-time leading trainer King Leatherbury says that the outside posts at Pimliclo are as bad as advertised.

"When you're betting on races, you discount the outside horse, because invariably when he comes into that first turn, he's going to lose ground," he said. "Even though you're trying to work your way in, there are horses inside of you. If they've got speed, they're going to come out there running and work their way over a bit. If they've got no speed, you can almost throw them out."

Including Giacomo?

"I would," Leatherbury said, adding, with a laugh, "Look, he's got the most important race in the world under his belt. So why should he get two races?" [Louisville Courier-Journal]
- Just caught a glimpse of Closing Argument on TVG galloping easily and comfortably over the Pimlico track today. Kiaran McLaughlin thinks he's going to get bet once people realize he was in the lead after a mile and 3/16s. My earlier estimates of 8-1 I believe were too high, but I'd be really surprised if he was less than 5-1 or if Giacomo is more than that price.

- It's supposed to pour in Baltimore tomorrow, but clear out by Saturday. Bummer for the stakes-filled Pimlico card tomorrow.

1 Comment:

Twba said...

Too bad Leatherbury didn't convince more people to throwout the outside posts when I bet Point Given to win the Preakness.