RSS Feed for this Blog

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Christening Hurt

- Christening ran second in the 4th at Delaware today, but was vanned off the track after the finish. To be perfectly honest, I'm so wrapped up in Saratoga, with my departure set for Tuesday afternoon and my Saratoga blog venture about to get off the ground, that I'd forgotten that she was even running today. Not that I could have seen the race anyway.

When I saw a flood of emails from the partnership in my inbox, I thought perhaps something good had happened. And she did run second (earning $3600), though she bobbled at the start. The thought is that she was hurt there, and that she ran the race with the injury. X-rays showed that she suffered a condylar fracture of the left front cannon bone, and she'll be operated on tomorrow (initial estimate for the medical care is $2-3,000). She should be OK, but her racing future is decidedly cloudy at this point.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

...so sorry to hear that Christening hurt herself...ironic that it happened during a nice check-cashing performance...

...AV Flynn apparently scratched out of that Del Mar stakes so that she could run in an easier spot today, a stakes race @ Solano...she went wire-to-wire under Russell Baze at odds of 1/5...

...new track record set by Aragorn in the Eddie Read today...1 1/8 miles in 1:44 and change, with a final furlong in just over 11 seconds...looks like the Del Mar turf course is running pretty damn fast...

t said...

I'm so sorry, Alan. I hope she's alright. And it's good you have the spa to take your mind off of such things.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear. :( I'll be wishing her a speedy recovery.

Alan Mann said...

Thanks guys. We haven't gotten any word yet on the surgery because everyone was heading upstate today. The good thing is that CVF always does put the horse's well-being first, so I'm sure that whatever is decided about her future will be in her best interest.