RSS Feed for this Blog

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Stable Update

[EDIT - The race discussed in this post was actually run on the dirt. I'm such an idiot...]

- As noted by a commenter, Christening checked in 4th at Delaware today, picking up another $1260 check. I’m not going to complain. A commenter noted that I’ve been a “whiner” about my horses lately, and I suppose that’s a fair criticism. I guess the cash call got me a little cranky. The fact that most of the other Castle Village partnerships have at least paid a visit to the winner’s circle doesn’t help.

So I was excited when I saw that she finished 4th and, particularly, that she had been in front. I wasn’t really expecting much of her on the grass. Reader Bank Check informed us that only two horses by Vicar have won on the turf. And Christening has a Tomlinson of only 196; I think a rating under 200 means that the horse is likely to develop hives from the surface. So all in all, it was a pleasant surprise.

But then I read the chart comment, which reads:

Christening set a slow pace for five furlongs and then weakened.
Could there possibly be a more negative comment about a horse that was in front until almost the quarter pole, and hung on for a little purse money? I mean, she didn’t even get any credit at all; the comment cast the whole thing in a negative light. They couldn’t have said something like: showed early speed, or set the pace?

I guess I’m whining again. OK, well, Highland Cat is expected to recover quickly from his little foot bruise. There’s a mile and a sixteenth maiden special on the turf written for July 15 which we’re hoping he can make.

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

...HUGE effort by the Japanese filly Dance in the Mood in the, ummm, CashCall Mile today @ Hollywood Park...if you didn't catch the race, it's must-see tv...her effort would seem to bode very well for her Japanese counterpart Asahi Rising, who goes in the American Oaks tomorrow...that one had worked in company with Dance in the Mood the other day, with DITM breaking on to and setting a slow pace while Asahi Rising came up to her and eventually went clear...slow times for both, but just the fact that she appeared to hold her own with Dance in the Mood bodes extremely well for her chances, as that one ran like a superstar today against much tougher fillies than Asahi Rising will be facing...gotta like her chances...

Anonymous said...

The race Christening ran today was OFF THE TURF

Set the early fractions but they were SLOW.

Anonymous said...

And the best part, he was bet all the way down to 5/2 for most of the pre race betting. Must have been CVF money flooding in. Ended up at 9-1