RSS Feed for this Blog

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Tomorrow Is Here

- Whoever wrote the lyric “Tomorrow Never Comes” was full of.....well, you know. Tomorrow always comes. That’s why we’re all in this same boat together, growing older as we’re being hurtled like a jockey riding bareback on a bucking bronco through time towards our destinations, and our ultimate destiny, which hopefully won’t include slot machines.

My interim destiny is Saratoga, and that tomorrow is today. I’m heading up this afternoon, and without the Head Chef for comfort and guidance (and food), until Sunday, anyway. What exactly I’ll be doing other than betting horses, I really have no idea. I have a verbal commitment to do some writing for the Saratoga Special; and another from them to contribute and support the Racing Saratoga blog. But how exactly that is all going to play out, I really just don’t know. Maybe I’ll score big at the track the first week and just take the rest of the summer off entirely.

So, what the hell, we’ll just go with the flow and see what happens. I’ll endeavor to write about my writing exploits here, while keeping up with the racing over there. Up now is a post on the first baby maiden race of the meet, to be run as the 5th. To be honest, with all the running around to get ready for leaving my home for six weeks, I’ve barely looked at Wednesday’s card other than this race. These pp’s have been available long enough to write a freaking novel about. But anyway, I’ll check in next from there.

- Giacomo was 9-2 in the San Diego, and I can’t say I would have had him if he was twice that price. It can’t be considered a big upset, but it was in my book; and I think it may have been to his connections as well, who would have been thrilled to see him just finish competitively. Next is the Pacific Classic, and though the mile and a quarter would seem to be perfect for him after rallying in the shorter race, I would still approach with caution. Even forgetting the fact that Lava Man should be in the race, he still needs things to go his way, as they did last weekend with the sub 1:10 three quarters. So he may be extremely overbet, but we’ll come back to that in a few weeks. After the Pacific Classic, he will be pointed for the Goodwood Breeders' Cup Handicap at Santa Anita on Oct. 7 and the Breeders' Cup Classic at Churchill Downs on Nov. 4. [Daily Racing Form]

- Matt Hegarty reports in the Form today that Dwight Manley is close to an agreement to take over as national manager of the Jockey’s Guild. Details include the $500,000 loan, which will bear no interest for the first year. While his salary has not been disclosed, he said that the 20% of Guild revenues that he is to receive would be only from additional sources that he develops for the guild. He declined to identify any potential sources of new revenue. But part of the plan is no doubt is to seek a direct share of simulcast revenues, as opposed to the share currently included in purse earnings. Gertmenian was after that too, but likely would have paid 20% to his sister after writing checks to himself and Albert Fiss. I suppose if Manley can create revenue that doesn’t currently exist, then he would deserve his fair share.

- The Arlington Million and the Del Mar Breeders’ Cup Handicap are the next possibilities for Aragorn, and one opposing trainer is awaiting Neil Drysdale’s decision on deciding what to do with his horse.

"I don't think I want to have my horse's next race be against him," said Gary Mandella, the trainer of third-place Eddie Read finisher Silent Name (Jpn). "I think we'll see where he's going before we make a decision on where [Silent Name will] run." [Thoroughbred Times]

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Let the games begin. Good luck to all!

Anonymous said...

Tab Duke of Earl over the jumps.



Bank Check