RSS Feed for this Blog

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Hanging Around

- 6,149 turned out at Belmont on a blustery late Friday afternoon; twilight racing is a big hit for NYRA. It shows that you can get people out to the racetrack if you make it worth their while. In this case, making it so are a beautiful setting for a sunny (thus far) Friday, music, happy hour, and horses. Q104, the local classic rock station was set up in the tent this time, and though it unfortunately relegated Ernie Munick to the outside rail, that's a good job by NYRA and an excellent way to draw an even bigger crowd next week.

I managed to skip out of work and get there for the 5th, with the Head Chef in tow. No luck; my best shot was a 2nd place finish with Ambassador at 7-1 in the 7th; would have been all over that triple, and was on the money leaving Pletcher's favored Blues Street out. Didn't cash, but moral victories can count in terms of establishing some confidence.

Today's an amazing, gorgeous day for Belmont, or anything else at all outdoors for that matter. We're going this evening to see the play Frost/Nixon and have an early dinner reservation. So I'm just gonna hang in our little Queens backyard sliver of paradise, and play some races on my still yet-to-be-used NYRA Rewards account. I actually tried to use it last night to be on a race at Hollywood, but there was a problem logging in, and I got shut out! I would have lost, so it was a rousing start to my internet wagering career.

So I'll be around, and if anyone has any thoughts on the races today, particularly at Belmont, please feel free to comment. I'm stuck on the second now, a wide open maiden race on the grass. Queens Full, besides being a hunch bet, is a really nicely bred filly from the hot Clement barn. She's a half-sister to Regal Engagement, and her dam, out of Too Chic, is a half to Queena and Chic Shrine. Shug has the probable favorite with Clifton Bay, who saved a ton of ground last time after being left at the gate; this trainer is warming up I think. And I'm looking at She's My Sunshine, 8-1 morning line, who ran a good third behind a couple of nice looking fillies in her first race with Lasix...

[Oh, and yeah, Highland Cat is the 2-1 favorite in the 5th at Colonial Downs today...almost forgot to mention that...]

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hate to tout favs but Lahudood looks real tough to beat in the 6th.


Bank Check

Alan Mann said...

Third for Highland Cat. I had to go to the Forest Hills OTB to watch it.

Alan Mann said...

I'm getting a little excited about Makderah in the 8th. She won her last quite impressively, and should love this distance. Her breeding is amazing - by Danehill, out of a Mr. Prospector half sister to Nashwan and Nayaf...and she's from the family of Deep Impact - they have the same third dams. 8-1 morning line, big test for class.

Anonymous said...

Alan,

The NYRA Internet wagering experience has been great!!! You have to realize that wagering can only be completed when the tote is open, not after hours. I always place bets the day of anyway, just to make sure I get the latest odds. NYRA has done a great job bringing Internet wagering to us NY customers and fans!

-R. Stevenson

Anonymous said...

Love NYRA's Internet wagering! Fast and easy to use. Have only had login issues when the tote was not in service...after track closed.