RSS Feed for this Blog

Monday, May 14, 2007

It's Circular Quay

- Circular Quay is the mystery horse who is now under consideration by Todd Pletcher for the Preakness, and thanks to reader Kevin for posting the link. The Toddster says that he is working well. The horse seemed to have a lot of support amongst readers at this site....and from me as well. I swore off that Todd Triple Crown Kool-Aid after diving in head first on Derby Day, but I must say that CQ would be an intriguing entry (here I go again) in a race that is shaping up as a short field, but not one devoid of speed.

The same DRF article contains the totally worthless Preakness info of the day, as we learn that no-shot CP West, eligible for entry-level allowance company, finished his workout four lengths clear of workmate Southern Conference, a 3-year-old who just won a maiden $16,000 claiming race at Aqueduct. That should really move those futures odds. (I might add that I bet Southern Conference in his [losing] debut at Saratoga.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the Quay in this spot. With KING OF THE ROXY, HARD SPUN, XCHANGER, and maybe FLYING FIRST CLASS all vying early it should set up CQ to make a bid. This time I would expect him to hit the board. If CURLIN can sit closer to the pace, you have to like his chances as well.

CQ might have needed his last one.
_________________________
Rotopro.com

Superfecta said...

Really? His workout today wasn't anything special. I like him a lot, but if he's a horse who likes a layoff...

Anonymous said...

Not so sure this is the best spot for CQ (as opposed to, say, the Belmont)-- I prefer a horse with a quicker turn afoot to stalk and explode. Which brings me to Hard Spun. I agree with Alan that I'd like to see him stalk here, keep a little in the tank, and then try to get the jump on Street Sense. It might help to have that little extra for the finish -- a lot can happen in the last 7.7 seconds or so of a race, and so it's best to prepare accordingly.

But what I'm wondering is this: is it possible that Jones is just trying to bluff them sumsbitches into thinking he's going to send HS, when his plan really is to sit just off the speed?

Alan Mann said...

jeff, maybe you're right about Jones trying to outsmart everyone. He's certainly outsmarted me, I don't know what the hell he's doing anymore. Beyer quotes him as saying: "I think I think more than y'all think I think." Or maybe he just wants us to think that!