RSS Feed for this Blog

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Just Zip It Steps Up, Stretches Out

- Just Zip It goes in the 8th at the Big A today, stepping up to the NW2x state-bred allowance company. As I'd mentioned, she had been entered in the Personal Girl stakes on Sunday, but was pointed for this softer spot instead. That race, won by Karokorum Starlet, came back with a weak Beyer of 79, well within JZI's capabilities it would seem - she's run 74 and 76 in last two starts respectively, but recall that she broke poorly in her last. So the future could be bright even if she runs herself out of state-bred conditions today.

But first things first. She's had three breezes since her last race, and seems poised to be able to stretch out to seven furlongs here. She's by City Zip, and I love that she's by a Gate Dancer mare as regarding her ability to go longer. In fact, I recall that when we first got her, it was thought that she'd be well-suited for two turns.

Her main rival would seem to by Rizzi's Twist, for the red-hot Bruce Levine barn; the barn has won a ridiculous six out of its last nine races here. Rizzi's Twist drops into state-bred company after running competitively for a 75K tag in open entry level allowance optional claiming company. She last ran in this company last September, rallying for third after a poor start. She's run in the 80's Beyer-wise fairly consitently, and is clearly the one to beat as the 2-1 morning line favorite. However, this will also be her first try as far as seven furlongs. Salt Water Reign (7-2) was a close second to What's Your Point (3-1) in her last race, in February, earning an 81 Beyer. She faded her lone try at seven furlongs, and What's Your Point is 0-3 at the distance.

So I think that Just Zip It certainly has a shot here in a field with distance question marks amongst the top contenders. On the down side, I'll note that the five horses from her last race that have run back have not done well - no better than 3rd place / 64 Beyer. But on the other hand, JZI seems to have the most upside in this field by a significant margin, and I think she'll love the distance. I'm all in at her morning line of 6-1.

- It's always nice this time of year to see common sense prevail. Salute the Sarge has plenty enough earnings for the Derby, but his connections will pass.

"If he runs well in the Lexington, I'll go to the Preakness," Guillot said. "I don't think he's a mile-and-a-quarter horse."
.....
Guillot said that even if Salute the Sarge ran brilliantly in the Lexington Stakes that the Kentucky Derby would remain unlikely.

"I think I've got my partner convinced that it's not the right thing," he said of Salute the Sarge's owner, Michael Moreno. [Daily Racing Form]
- Readys Echo returns in an allowance race on the Blue Grass card.

- The Rangers survived a shaky start to the third period of a 1-1 game, and took advantage of a gaffe by Mr. All World Goalie Martin Brodeur to crush the Devils 4-1, taking the first game of the series on the road. "I'm the top player on this team, to a certain extent, and for us to win, they need me to be perfect," Brodeur said. He wasn't. Neither were the Rangers, but style doesn't count in the postseason. Game 2 tomorrow night.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Good look with 'Just Zip It' today - we'll be watching and rooting!

Brett said...

$3.5 million purchase goes out for Pletcher today in Keeneland's 6th. She is a filly named Charmed and has worked sharply for her debut. 7-2 ML and I will be using her along with the 11 in my P4. I don't care if Pletcher is cold $3.5 is a lot and I don't care about big money horses running clunkers. She has looked brilliant in work outs.

PS: Here is my P4 Ticket

R6: 1,11
R7: 1,5,10
R8: 2,7,4,10
R9: 5 (Frankel shipper from SA look sharp)

Alan Mann said...

Brett - I believe that she's the first foal out of Take Charge Lady. That great filly won several G1 stakes at Keeneland - the Alcibiades, the Ashland, the Spinster twice. Of course, that was on the old Keeneland speedway. Good luck, I'm off to the track myself

Brett said...

Charmed looked like a veteran in holding off Spring Elusion. Very good race.