RSS Feed for this Blog

Monday, April 30, 2007

Hard Spun Flies At Churchill (Updated)

- Any questions about Hard Spun should now be focused on whether his work at Churchill this morning was too fast rather than on any lingering concerns about what was described as a lackluster work at Keeneland on a surface he apparently didn't like. The Lane's End winner worked five furlong is 57 3/5, wow!

Hard Spun went in fractions of :11, :22, :33 2/5, :45, and :57 3/5. He was caught galloping out six furlongs in 1:11 2/5.
.....
“Apparently he really liked the track,” said [trainer Larry] Jones. “He just got over it really well. I don’t know how I could be much happier. Mr. Porter, are you happy?”

“I’m happy,” Porter responded.

“Then I’m happy,” Jones shot back quickly. [Bloodhorse]
I guess the horse is happy at Churchill too.

UPDATE: Larry Jones says of the work:
“That wasn’t what we were shooting for...We weren’t trying to see who was the fastest, but I told (jockey) Mario (Pino) I just hope we can throttle him down on Derby day. It may have put a little more zip in him that what we needed." [Bloodhorse]

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonder how John Servis will feel if Hard Spun wins the Derby?
The Hard Spun "entourage" now includes basketball legends Billy Cunningham, Rollie Massimino and Chuck Daly. They are Rick Porter's golfing buddies. I hope they have taught Hard Spun the fast break.

Alan Mann said...

Roly Poly Massimino? He's still with us on this earth? When I lived in Philly around 1980, I attended many a Big Five game, and the Villanova - St. Joe's rivalry seemed to be the sharpest. I recall a game at the Palestra in which Villanova built a big lead, and towards the end, the St. Joe's side raised a banner that said:
Tonight we will be sober.
But you'll still be from Villanova.


One of my favorite sports banners of all time.

Michael said...

He looked like a beast today.

Anonymous said...

A very fast time, but he slowed down a lot during the gallop out. The sixth furlong went in 13.8 seconds. Compare that to Scat Daddy's sixth on Sunday in 12.6 secs.

Could just be a surface factor, though.

Anonymous said...

Hard Spun is my choice. I had to see how his final work went before making the final decision. I am glad to be holding a future wager ticket on him at 13/1. The only thing that could improve his chances now (aside from a decent post) would be the exclusion of Teuflesberg, which could happen with the announcement today that Xchanger is now 80% likely to be sold.

Lenny

Anonymous said...

I don't see HARD SPUN at all. He'll be a forward factor, but there are enough mix-it-up types to keep the pace honest. I think he'll have a hard time relaxing and come up empty. But good luck!