RSS Feed for this Blog

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Technical Problems, Derby Works

- So, the technical problem with my laptop is basically that I can't turn it on. I need a new power cord, and apparently there's not a universal adapter in the universe that is compatible with my model. So I'm hoping to get Hewlett Packard to ship me a replacement tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm on either the Head Chef's Mac from 1997, and I'm not exaggerating, or a little Mac notebook that I can borrow from the kids if and when they fall asleep.

So it'll be a couple of days before I can put up the photos that the Head Chef took of Highland Cat, as well as a memorable video the race that she shot. I can't run Cal Racing on this computer, so I'll have to wait until the racing replay show later on tonight. In fact, I haven't even been able to view the charts because I can't get the Adobe Reader to work.

Nobiz Like Shobiz worked five furlongs in 59.98 seconds at Belmont on Sunday.

Mike Curry reported on the Pletcher works at Keeneland for Thoroughbred Times, and he notes of Scat Daddy:

He appears to have moved forward off the Florida Derby win, as he did not break a sweat during Sunday’s drill and was not even slightly winded exiting the track.
No, I can't watch the Keeneland works on this computer, so I'll have to get back to you on my impressions a bit later. But Angel Cordero, who rode each of the colts, said: “Scat Daddy was the most impressive.."

Any Given Saturday had an easier work. I recall that Pletcher had said that his last work was a bit faster than he wanted - that was the 58.20 work in company with Pleasant Strike (who ran third in the Keeneland finale). So the trainer said of today's work:
“We were looking for something a little lighter today, so we worked him by himself. He had a nice, easy work, the kind of work that should build him up and put him right on target for Saturday.”
Haskin also reports on the Pletcher colts, and you can just about imagine what it says without bothering to read it.

Some significant works are scheduled on Monday at Churchill, as reported at The Downey Profile. Asmussen will work Curlin and Zanjero, and Hard Spun will work out for trainer Larry Jones. I'll be paying particular attention to the latter, who I've been very interested in for the Derby. At least until I read the negative report we got regarding his work at Keeneland from Clocker-1. Note however, that the clocker is not eliminating the colt because of it:
Go back and look at ALL of HS's works, everywhere. See ANY that even remotely resemble this one? Besides, when Jones took him to CD for the "go, no go" work," he announced to the world that his horse did not like the Keene Poly. Really, really intriguing horse off this work. Could set him up for a monster race, or just as easily could have cooked his goose. Like I said, one to watch next week.
So I'll be watching. I still have hope that CD will come through with some workout video. By the way, Clocker-1 is 1 and done, and was not around for the weekend's works. He leaves us with some interesting observations on the O'Neill horses...and recommends Mike Welsch of the Form for our workout observations.

0 Comments: