RSS Feed for this Blog

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Notes: Mar 9



- This is John Henry today, his 30th birthday, and from the look of him it doesn't look as if he's any more likely to be making a comeback in the near future than the Ramones. I've been seeing stories of the impending milestone, and it didn't really register until I thought about it and realized... What?? It's been over 20 years since I was at the Meadowlands to see him win his last race?? This for some reason seems even more recent than most other events I think that about. I think I still have the tote bag they gave away that night somewhere. I remember watching him in the post parade, and he was checking out the crowd and seemed to be saying "Hey, check me out, I'm here!" I don't think I've ever seen a horse since then that seemed so cognizant of the fact that he was indeed the main attraction, and I'm sure he knows it again today. Happy birthday.

- On the heels of the rejection of slots for Calder and a $4.3 million charge to earnings, CDI stock [Churchill Downs] tumbled in trading Wednesday. As of 1:45 p.m. (EST), the stock's price had fallen $5.44 (12.22%) to trade at $39.06. [Bloodhorse] [It closed at $39.12]. Churchill's stock symbol is CHDN. A poster on the Yahoo Finance message board wrote

Sorry Shareholders. Maybe that churchill downs twin spires program (you know you bet 10,000 dollars and you earn a free hot dog) can save the day.
But another responded
They can vote again in 2 years, slots probably won't be up and running at Gulfstream by then, with all the litigation, and turmoil ahead the next couple of years, this is a blessing in diguise [sic]
I've always wanted to use that [sic] thing.

- Entries in for the Louisiana Derby, and I'm psyched. Surprised to see Sort it Out in; Baffert had indicated that he would not make the race and needed more time. Maybe the folks at Stonerside who shelled out a lot of money to try and get to Louisville (they didn't spend the money to run in the Alex M. Robb) disagreed.

0 Comments: