RSS Feed for this Blog

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Kodiak Moment

- I had a good day in the Special, picking four winners on top, and I had the late Pick Three (for real) for $111. That was the lowest will pay of the six I was alive with, after singling the first two legs; but certainly a better result than the second place finisher, who I didn't have. Friday's picks should be up here shortly now.

Kodiak Kowboy was one horse I had because I did do the extra work. I was intrigued by The Roundhouse, but watching the replay of Kodiak Kowboy winning the Bashford Manor won me over; he was ridden confidently and ran as professionally as could be for a young colt. With Shaun Bridgmohan replacing Corey Lanerie, this son of leading first crop sire Posse sat a perfect trip in the G2 Special behind the two speeds, waited patiently for room at the top of the stretch, and burst through horses to open up a big lead. The Roundhouse put in a nice rally for second, but wasn't making up any appreciable ground at the end. The last 2 1/2 furlongs were run in 30.98, which is a rate of about 24.75 for a quarter.

So here's a pretty solid juvenile, a winner of two graded stakes in a row, and four out of five overall. "We’re hoping to run him in the Belmont Futurity (Grade II, Sept. 15)," Steve Asmussen told Bloodhorse. While Posse made his living as a sprinter, there seems to be plenty of stamina in his pedigree, and I imagine that his progeny will go on with the right matings. Kodiak Kowboy is out of a mare by the late Travers winner Coronado's Quest who is a half-sister to West By West, a graded winner around two turns; and his second dam is a half to the Brooklyn Handicap winner Little Missouri...and that when it was run at a mile and a half. He's inbred 4x4 to Mr. Prospector, and has horses like Glorious Song, Blushing Groom, Cox's Ridge, and Roberto close up in his pedigree, so...I'm not talking about, y'know, that, just saying that he should be able to go two turns at Monmouth this fall if, that is, he's still sharp six months after his first race.

The best two-year old performance of the day however may have come in the maiden race. Secret Gypsy (Sea of Secrets) broke the track record for 5 1/2 furlongs, getting the distance in 1:03.26 in her career debut, cruising on top to the stretch, and then drawing away when asked under a hand ride by Desormeaux. Tom Durkin noted after the finish that she didn't want to go into the gate. She was a secret at the windows, going off at 13-1 for Ronny Werner, who does OK with these, at 17% over the last two years. Zito's first-timer Overandabeauty got bet on the nose at 3-1 and held second after chasing the winner.

We're leaving for Saratoga on Sunday morning; our rental starts that day. If Rags to Riches was running in the Alabama, we'd probably have gone up a day early, and used my Holiday Inn points for a free night. In Albany. I don't like the one in Saratoga. Even without Rags to Riches, if it was a great card, I might have persuaded the Head Chef, who despises the Holiday Inn, to leave a day early. But after having seen the entries, we'll stick to our plans. There's a two mile dirt race on the card, and while there's nothing wrong with an oddball race every once in a while to keep things fun, you might as well just stick your money in a slot machine.

The Head Chef, who has graciously donated her services in the form of a home-cooked dinner to be auctioned off at the Belmont Child Care Association's fundraising dinner event at the Gideon Putnam hotel next Wednesday, is bringing her friend Eileen along. Eileen has broken up with her boyfriend, and is looking for some men, to put it frankly. The Head Chef somehow has convinced her that the track at Saratoga would be a good place to meet guys. Personally, I think she might be disappointed, though you never know. I mean, what serious horseplayer guy is thinking about women when he's at Saratoga, right? This is like the opposite of the Capital Play theory that women attract men to the track. Maybe it's the other way around, and then those women who were attracted by the men will then attract other men who will attract other women, and all of a sudden it will be like Australia, Saratoga will become a big pick-up joint and put Siro's out of business. But anyway, if you see a woman who's obviously on the prowl on Sunday, please stop and say hello.

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Secret Gypsy may have just freaked. As you noted, she refused to be loaded, rearing a few times and generally throwing a fit. When they finaoly pushed her into the gate, she went RIGHT THROUGH the gate, out the front and had to be led around and re-loaded. It wasn't a surprise she broke on top (agitated horses often do), but it WAS a surprise when she kept going, en-route to the track record. A fantastic performance to be certain, but based on the circumstances, i'd be a little leery of her next time.

Anonymous said...

Walter, what happened to Holly torque tango in the 4th yesterday. Read in the chart that she broke down. Was she put down? I guess that is another one I can remove from stable watch. Byanose

ps I like Down in Sar. 5 today (she ran last in a stake when I last touted her) and Christmas kid in Sar. 8th

Alan Mann said...

Byanose -

Yes, she was put down, and not very efficiently it seems. Please see my latest post.

Hmmm, I didn't even mention Down with my three picks for that race. I think I kinda forgot about her. I picked Waquoit's Love as a bit of a longshot.

JMW said...

I'll be in Saratoga next week, at the Holiday Inn. I've always liked staying there, so I wonder why it rubs you the wrong way... (I'm assuming it's not just a hatred of chain hotels, since you like the one in Albany better.)

Alan Mann said...

JMW - I dunno, it just didn't give me the warm and fuzzies. Seemed a bit run down, though I see it's been renovated since I was last there. But hell, it's in Saratoga, so I guess it can't be too bad, and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Good luck at the races!

Warstone said...

Alan:

I actually think it is laudable to have a 2M race! I wish that races at longer distances (1 1/8 or more) would be a permanent fixture in both alw and claiming races. I agree with you that having this tyupe of race once in a blue moon is a bit like playing slots. But I would like to see it once every 3 weeks or so maybe that would help to sell more durable long distance horses.

It can't be that you only have long distance stakes and everyone else sprints or goes a mile. Then you would only breed speed and hope your horse can carry it but if you have an outlet for horses with distance pedigrees that don't have the talent to compete in the stakes it would be fantastic.

SantaBarbarian said...

What a wonderful woman that Head Chef is. And, I can attest that you CAN meet some terrific, interesting, handsome and often easy on the eyeballs men at the tracks.

The caveat being the woman better know how to read The Form and know what the hell a "morning glory" or a "mudder" means or else they will leave you alone in the gate.

I remember getting some very special treatment by some pony playing men. My favorite being a behind the scenes tour of the Clydesdales at Santa Anita.