RSS Feed for this Blog

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Wednesday Night Notes - Sept 13

- I swear, I was really going to post last night that I did not like West Virginia in today's feature at Belmont. But to go out of my way to pick against a Pletcher horse did not seem like a wise use of my time. And besides, I didn't really have a solid alternative to offer.

Naughty New Yorker ($13.40) made as much as sense as anyone if you wanted to oppose the favorite, who went off at 1-2 in the General Douglas MacArthur Stakes. This four-year old son of Quiet American was way overmatched in the Woodward, but was back to the friendlier confines of NY-bred company today (thanks to the race being delayed from Friday). And his trainer Pat Kelly has been doing very well of late, and is one to watch at a price. He won five races at Saratoga, and other than Naughty New Yorker, who won another state-bred stake there at 2-1, he had two winners at 13-1, one at 15-1, and another at 7-1. Kelly's Egyptian King ($24.60) was the horse who completed the $705 Pick Four with the three favorites who won the Grade 1's at Belmont on Saturday.

- Churchill Downs unveiled its logo for next year's Kentucky Derby.



According to the Thoroughbred Times, the logo features the futuristic profile of a horse racing against the wind past a stylized depiction of the Twin Spires.

Really?





Well, at least there's no mention of Yum! Brands.

- Barclay Tagg is now hedging on the Turf or the Mile for Showing Up. "I don't think he'd be any slouch at a mile....I could make a good case for it. He's got a good turn of foot.'' [Daly Racing Form]

I'm still marveling over the 10.95 final eighth that Cacique put in on Saturday. Now comes news of a mile and a half workout for the Arc de Triomph by the Japanese star Deep Impact in which he covered the final quarter-mile....in an unofficial 21 seconds flat under regular rider Yutaka Take. [Daily Racing Form] [EDIT: According to the UK's Sporting Life, it was the last 400 meters that he covered in 21 seconds (thanks Walter); and the last half mile was 50 seconds]




Are you guys getting this?

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I admit I'm better with words than graphics, but really -- is there a horse in this logo?

Anonymous said...

I believe you need a pair of 3-D glasses to make out anything equine. Magna intends to sell them for $5.oo a pair during Derby Week. Get the picture?

Anonymous said...

Kinda reminds me of Magna's vision for Gulfstream Park.

Bank Check

Anonymous said...

I imagine that is the classic look of the twin spires from the clubhouse turn. If that's the case I am making out a horse'e head and it's running in the WRONG direction

Alan Mann said...

The Head Chef thought that the twin spires were the horse's ears. I can't even find the horse.

Anonymous said...

I guess it's just me, but i think the horse and the Twin Spires are easily recognizable. I'm not crazy about the design, though. Going with a Yum! Brands motif, they could've had a horse running past Taco Bell. You know, making a "run for the border". Now that would've been cool.

As for the Deep Impact story, if Alan Shuback says that 400 meters is a quarter mile, well, i guess he would know. If nothing else, it's gotta be real close. Keep in mind, Deep Impact is known for some wicked closing fractions, and this was just a workout where he was obviuously taking it easy in the early going. I wouldn't put it past him. Incidentally, that's the main fear my friend in Japan has about Deep Impact winning the race (though he's extremely confident). Deep Impact tends not to get involved early (usually lagging far behind), and then he rolls past his overmatched foes late. He rarely has an anxious moment, but of course this is the Arc, and he's gonna have a tougher time running down the competition. It'll be very interesting to see how confident a ride Take gives him, though i'm guessing he'll play it safe and be a little closer than usual. Hurricane Run lays pretty far back himself, so i guess he'll stay with that one early. I'm really looking forawrd to the race, it's less than 3 weeks away now. Go Deep Impact!

Anonymous said...

Maybe its my PETA side, but I see a horse standing for slaughter having a "captive bolt" driven through its brain.

Sorry for the graphic discomfort, support HR503.