RSS Feed for this Blog

Friday, October 27, 2006

Lava Man Works

- Lava Man worked over the Polytrack at Keeneland - just a breeze, six furlongs in 1:15. (Remember, The Works on TVG commences on Saturday). Under exercise rider Tony Romero, the 5-year-old son of Slew City Slew went the final three-eighths in :35..

"He's put on some good weight here and he's stronger than ever," the exercise rider said. "I'm very happy with the way he's pulling; he feels better than he did before the Pacific Classic, even. Bernardini is a tough horse to beat, but he should watch out with the way our horse is training."

"I play the Classic out in my mind a lot," O'Neill said. "The post position draw will tell us more. We'd like to see Brother Derek and Bernardini start on his inside so we can tell what they're going to do, but our jockey [Corey Nakatani] knows him well, he knows he can be a little aggressive early and still have something left in the tank." [Bloodhorse]
I think we pretty much know what Brother Derek is going to do; not much flexibility in his preference for the lead, and he usually doesn't get it. He didn't against Lava Man in the Goodwood, and I have no reason to believe he will here.

I think it will be interesting to see what Lawyer Ron does in his first race for Pletcher, who apparently is retaining the services of John McKee, who was criticized for his ride in the Super Derby. If he's turned loose, he could be a factor up front as well. But hell, if Bernardini runs the way we think he will - imagine how fast he could be if he actually has to try hard...or even just a little - nothing that happens in the early stages will matter.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

As I have posted I have strong opinions on the Classic (Berny), Sprint (Henny) and turf races (box the euros). The thorn in my side as far as the pick six goes is the Distaff. I just have never been able to jump on the Fleet Indian band wagon, even leaving her off my P6 ticket on Belmont's Breeders Cup Preview day.

I am not thrilled with 3yo Pine Island's dead closing style going 9 furlongs in a big field vs. older, so just wondering if anyone had any thoughts of logical contenders should FI and PI disappoint as I feel they may.

I am open for suggestions as just can not make sense of this race after tossing those two.

Mr. Ed