RSS Feed for this Blog

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

SA Stewards an Angel to Pick Six Bettors

- Over $3 million in the Pick Six pool at Santa Anita on Wednesday, and that with a card that was pretty brutal. Six bettors pulled down over $400,000 each, but I wonder if any of them had a ticket with the six horse in the 7th race. The disqualification of that horse, 48-1 Conveyor's Angel in the Tuzla Stakes, may have scuttled a Lotto-type jackpot in the pool on Thursday. (Or perhaps it prevented one bettor from a record payoff.) The sequence started off with winners at 8-1, 9-1, and 20-1.

Conveyor's Angel was tough to like if you couldn't get past her last race, in which she was eased in the stretch of the Dahlia against a few of the horses she was facing here. But this time, she came absolutely flying a good six-seven wide around the turn and blew past the field. But she bore in around midstretch, and forced Corey Nakatani to check hard aboard the 2-1 favorite Movie Star, who wasn't going anywhere in my view. Conveyor's Angel had already flown around her while in a wider path on the turn. Nakatani made it look dramatic, but I have to say that it doesn't really look all that terrible to me on the head-on (again, go to Cal Racing.)

But the stewards ruled that Conveyor's Angel had taken the path of....Movie Star during the stretch run, causing Movie Star to "take up, clip heels of another horse and stumble," [Associated Press] giving the win to the 7-2 second choice Singalong (Singspiel).

- Bill Turner is so pleased with the fitness of Highland Cat, that the now four-year old grey gelding will be entered in a one mile 40K maiden claiming event on Sunday!

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that it didn't look like much to me (mind you I was watching it on a fuzzy computer feed at work)...and I cashed both tris as a result! Personally, I didn't like the favorite very much off her BRIS late pace and speed figures but I certainly didn't like Conveyor's Angel at all on speed or pace figures even if the last race was a toss. Frankel's horse was not going to hit the top 3 whether she was impeded or not, she had already packed it in as far as I could see.

I also fondly remember Tuzla herself. She was super tough at a mile but as I recall, she didn't care for too much more than that so I guess it is apt that this was at a mile.

I consider myself a lucky beneficiary of the stewards today!

Alan Mann said...

Hey Dave B - Happy to hear that it worked out for you!