RSS Feed for this Blog

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Wait a While a Worthy Winner

Reader Kashatreya responded to my quick dismissal of the Eclipse Awards (I'm just not a big awards show guy, and haven't even yet peeked at the Oscar noms) by suggesting that Wait A While's three-year old filly championship might be considered a slight surprise given the voters' tendency to favor dirt horses over those who ran on turf. But I sense little dissent over the decision, nor should there be in my opinion. In fact, I had bravely suggested going into the day that she had an outside shot for Horse of the Year consideration if she beat Ouija Board, and if Bernardini and Invasor checked in last some 20 lengths behind, say, a victorious Flower Alley.

And though the voters did the right thing, I think, in selecting Bernardini over Barbaro, the special awards given to the Jacksons and to the New Bolton Center were the proper way to recognize the achievement of those who have helped the Derby winner get where he is today. Which is apparently is in a better place than a week or so ago.

0 Comments: