RSS Feed for this Blog

Friday, January 19, 2007

Setting the Record Striaght

- Reader Late Scratch was at Empire's town meeting, and he reported that the Saratogian did indeed have a lengthy article in their print edition. I'd even done a search by 'Paul Post' but there was nothing. So thanks for that info, and I apologize for that bit of misinformation.

He also informs us that he didn't hear Perlee make the remark that was attributed to him in the Glens Falls Post Star; directly from the story posted on its website, Perlee was reported to say: "What the Belmont is, and when you see what the Belmont could be, as a New Yorker, it breaks your heart." As quoted, it's such an off-the-wall statement in my humble opinion, that I'm certainly willing to consider that perhaps he was misquoted; in fact, I'd go as far as to say that I hope he was.

Late Scratch thought Perlee was talking about the backstretch at the track, something that few would dispute. But note that the quote was in context with the content of the story at that point, as it followed the line in which Perlee said he'd like the Belmont to be like the Derby, and reader Green Mtn Punter agrees. I just don't think that's in the cards...unless a horse has a chance to sweep every year. There's so much emphasis on a horse winning the Triple Crown these days, given the length of time since Affirmed was the last to sweep it, that there's just a natural letdown if the Derby winner fails or doesn't run two weeks hence. And I also think that Bernardini's absence from the race may encourage others in similar positions to do the same. I think that the Travers is a better race to try and promote as a Derby-like event. It is known as the Midsummer Derby after all.

0 Comments: