RSS Feed for this Blog

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Been There All the Time

- Big Brown arrived at Pimlico last night, and took a little stroll this morning to check out the scene. Apparently it's like he's been there all the time. We've been prepared for the big announcement of his stud plans, as if we really care about the details. IEAH Stables’ Michael Iavarone told us all we need to know when he said yesterday that the chances of his racing at three four are "none." Beyond that, they can keep the details to themselves. (Though I was heartened to read of the owners' involvement in this.)

Joe Drape reports on The Rail:

NBC will open its broadcast at 4:30 p.m. with a half-hour round table hosted by Bob Costas and featuring Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens, Dr. Larry Bramlage, NTRA president Alex Waldrop, Eight Belles trainer Larry Jones and the New York Times own William Rhoden who, our readers know, has been unforgiving of an industry that he believes is out of touch.
- It's gonna be kinda quiet here today; a guy has to earn a living once in a while, and I'm busy today. I'll have a horse-by-horse analysis up sometime tomorrow on this site; from the look of it, it may be my biggest reading audience ever, so I'll try not to make a total fool out of myself. At least I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to pick the winner!

I'm off tomorrow, and the weather is supposed to suck, so maybe I'll do a live blog thing during the ESPN coverage from Pimlico, which will run from 3:30 until 6.

In the meantime, for my fellow indie rockers out there, you know who you are, check out this show going on sale today. As far as indie Lead Guitar Gods go, these three bands on one bill is like the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont all in one day! Whew, rock on!

12 Comments:

El Angelo said...

Pfffft. The Death Cab/Decemberists concert coming up beats this by a mile.

Alan Mann said...

>>The Death Cab/Decemberists concert coming up beats this by a mile.

Very cool show, though I'd leave the air guitar at home for that one. Don't think the Decemberists are playing with DCFC at the McCarren Park Pool show here next month?

Superfecta said...

Although, as Beyer points out, the equine hospital is going to be a cash cow for them. It's not all philanthropy, although I'm sure it's meant to look like it.

Superfecta said...

Oh, and for the record, my indie rocking is taking place next week - I'm off to see Liam Finn at the World Cafe Live. The man makes one-man-bands cool again. Huzzah!

David Hill said...

death cab and decembrists over built to spill? you were obviously born in the 1980s.

El Angelo said...

>>death cab and decembrists over built to spill? you were obviously born in the 1980s.

Nope, child of the late '70s. Built to Spill is fine, but not a favorite of mine. The other two bands...well, I'll be quiet.

Anonymous said...

Death Cab sux...

most overrated band ever.

Anonymous said...

dinosaur jr. = big brown
death cab = riley tucker

Alan Mann said...

>>dinosaur jr. = big brown
death cab = riley tucker


Ha! I don't dislike death cab, but still wouldn't rate them much higher than Kentucky Bear in that matchup.

Have you guys seen this? At Kutscher's Country Club of all places.

Anonymous said...

that atp ny thing looks insane. if only i were 15 years younger. no 20. but then i couldn't afford it.

cheers, chris

Erin said...

"...the chances of his racing at three are "none." "

OH NO! Everyone's gonna find out Big Brown is really only two! Wait til the Wall St Journal gets a hold of this one...

Alan Mann said...

Erin - I can't believe you're the only one who called me out on that idiotic error!! :-/