RSS Feed for this Blog

Monday, May 05, 2008

Late Late Double

- Racing fans were so upset about Eight Belles that they bet over $2.3 $5.5 million on the 11th and 12th races which followed the Derby. How many of you bet those races? C'mon, you can tell us here. I was alive in the double with Big Brown to Manager Boire, who ran last at 7-1, so great job there. Zito and Dale Romans took the late late double, giving each two winners on the day. Romans took the G3 Churchill Ladies Distaff Turf Mile with Bayou's Lassie, and also had two seconds. Even a 4th place finish by Yates Black Cat in the Turf Classic was good for $26,000 in earnings. So quite a day for Romans, and he didn't have to be bothered with saddling Halo Najib to get trounced in the Derby.

Romans took the finale with second time starter Pious Ashley, with Derby winner Kent Desormeaux aboard. This daughter of Include responded willingly midstretch and scooted away from the field, allowing Kent D. to put that whip away as she cruised home in 1:10 2/5. She's out of Witness Post, a Gone West mare who is now three-for-three with her foals. Half brother Hello Liberty (Forest Camp), her first, won the G2 Nassau County, and full sister Do I Havea Witness is a multiple winner for trainer Graham Motion; she won an allowance at Del Park just a couple of weeks ago. I'm putting this filly on my watch list.

9 Comments:

forego is my witness said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
forego is my witness said...

I just wanna give a shout-out to one of my favorite horses at the moment--Revved Up! The ten year old won Saturday, and I love knowing he's still got a killer instinct!

Anonymous said...

I hit the chalky late P4 at Churchill. It made up for some of my foolish bets on Monba. I went wire-to wire, betting all races on the card starting at 11am. Hats off to NYRA for the on line access and Ch. 71 and ESPN for the TV feed.

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael said...

How about this -- I actually cashed a $5 WP ticket on Eight Belles to play the 11th.

Sad.

Alan Mann said...

>>How about this -- I actually cashed a $5 WP ticket on Eight Belles to play the 11th.

But you WOULD have donated the proceeds had you hit the 11th, right? :)

Anonymous said...

I stayed around to bet a 'both-hands' double in the 11th on #3 Mambo in Seattle (son of Kingmambo and out of the dam of Lemon Drop Kid's dam) coming out of the Tizdejavu race (who won the Crown Royal on Friday) to the #3 Pious Ashley (who ran second in her Kee debut to Lenawee, who won an allowance earlier on the card). MIS had a slight trouble finding running room and than ran greenly in the stretch to run second at 7.40-1 - couldn't get to Zito's winner. The double payouts did not reflect PA's even money win odds in the finale.

I made it back with the weak triactor in the 12th. It was my first visit to GP (only place in South Florida to bet the KY Derby) so I needed to squeeze out every last drop.

Alan Mann said...

>>I made it back with the weak triactor in the 12th. It was my first visit to GP (only place in South Florida to bet the KY Derby) so I needed to squeeze out every last drop.

Nice going...and not surprised to hear that Pious Ashley's price wasn't reflected in the doubles. And you don't need to make any excuses here!

steve in nc said...

I too was alive with $20 DD tickets to Mambo in Seattle and to your horse, Alan, as well. I cannot tell you how many longshots I've had run second that way this spring, especially in the second legs of DDs.

I sent in more money in race 11 on tris & SF but they all got refunded when the 1 scratched. Good thing because i wasn't using the winner on top.

I guess after having watched Ruffian suddenly disappear from my binocular view at Belmont, and suddently having to stop screaming "Go, Go For Wand" at my TV, if I'm still a fan, I'm always going to be a fan.