RSS Feed for this Blog

Friday, November 10, 2006

More BC

- A few more notes about the Breeders Cup and then we can move on, maybe. To what exactly, I don't know. There's always the 7th at Turf Paradise.

- Cash Included was a major disappointment in the Juvenile Filles; she even had a spot on the rail. Dreaming of Anna was a live number on the board, and went off as the favorite despite being the 4-1 second choice on the morning line. Octave had the inside before swinging out to get second. Every trip handicapper and his aunt and uncle will be betting against her and Cash Included the next time they run.

Scat Daddy, I thought, was the most overbet horse on the day, with the arguable exception of Hurricane Run. He'd never been around two turns, yet was 7-2 in a very contentious field. Circular Quay was also overbet at 5-2, especially in relation to the overlaid winner Street Sense, who, as I pointed out here on several occasions, only lost to Circular Quay by a nose in the Breeders Futurity despite ceding ample ground. What do you think the odds would have been on these horses if Street Sense was running for Pletcher, and Circular Quay for Nafzger?

I had picked Scat Daddy here and in print, but no way could I accept his 7-2 odds. I liked Great Hunter and Street Sense, and I think I would have had more than just a small saver win bet on the latter if Hank Goldberg hadn't picked him. That made me sour on him a bit, though I did have him in my losing Pick 3's. The Head Chef felt that Goldberg's reasoning was similar to mine, and that he must have gotten the idea from reading Left at the Gate. I would doubt that, but it would be rather ironic if true; it would mean that I kinda talked myself out of a horse by talking someone else into it.

- Gotta stop now, because we're going to see a movie, The Prestige. The Head Chef is very excited because Bowie is in it. So I reserve the right to write some more about the Breeders Cup.

Just heard on TVG that A Flock of Seagulls will be playing at Hollywood Park tonight.

Sorry to do this to you, but I just can't help it.



Please forgive me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Moving on "to what exactly" pretty much sums it up for me. I'll be laying dormant for the most part, at least up until the Hollywood Futurity and Opening Day @ Santa Anita. The Breeders Cup is done, no reason to follow the Euros for another 6 months, and there won't be any 2yo racing to speak of until they crank up those 2-furlong dashes at the end of March. Sure, there's always the Remsen, a race so important that Nobiz Like Shobiz had to skip the Breeders Cup for it. And the Cigar Mile too, how could we ever forget that one??? But aside from a spot play or two, i'm done for a good long while. I don't plan to get involved in Derby futures this year, though of course i always have my eyes open, and i'll follow what's going on. A lot of that, i'll be doing thru this site (thanks Alan). Hope everyone has a great "off-season", and it's been a pleasure discussing the Breeders Cup races (and assorted other racing stuff) with you. Stay cool.

Anonymous said...

I was just listening to Changesbowie the other day. Your wife has good taste.