RSS Feed for this Blog

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Getting Close - With Updates

- Jockey Rajiv Maragh was put in a neck brace, on a stretcher, and taken to North Shore Hospital after falling off Al Basha in the first at Belmont.

The 8th is coming up at Churchill, and with the Derby, the 10th race, not scheduled until 6:04, there's a lot of idle time. I'm not crazy about Dutrow's favorite in the 6th at Belmont; Privy Seal is an uninspiring dropdown, but the rest of the field is pretty uninspiring too. Dale Romans has an entrant, but Gaellic Sunrise, 5-1 morning line, is 11-1 and moving north. I haven't bet since the disasterous opener, only partly because of shell-shock. I only really liked the first and last races at Belmont, and the 9th will be my next wager there. I've planned my day so as to avoid the unpleasant trip to the Forest Hills OTB. It ain't pretty there.

Did Kenny Mayne just ask the governor of Kentucky if he's a communist?

- Doug O'Neill said with much certainty on ESPN that Liquidity will be sent to the front.

- Wow, four winners now for Bejarano after Hystericalady took the Humana, and this one's a Grade 1. I don't know if Dominican backers think that's good or bad! He rallied towards the inside part of the track, as favorite Pussycat Doll put in a no-shot rally for second on the outside.

Storm N Lightning looks like he could be lone speed in the 7th at Belmont. Favored Metro Meteor returns off a six month layoff for Linda Rice, 26% in the 180+ layoff category.

- Storm N Lightning would have been lone speed if it wasn't for first-on-the-turf Southern Prince, for Mike Hushion. 9-2 morning line, he was the 7-2 second choice.

Curlin is 6-1 at around 4:30, and I don't think we're going to see any drastic changes at this point. Kenny Mayne is saying that "some people" are already stacking him up against Secretariat! He paid 2-1 in the Derby, and that was later considered to be a huge overlay. Scat Daddy is also 6-1. They love to bet him here; remember he was heavily bet in the Breeders Cup as well. Dominican is going to be a hell of a price. Hard Spun, only 8-1. If I had to pick out one as the overlay of the field, it would have to be Dominican, at 24-1. Circular Quay is coming down, at 12-1. And I know at least one person who is pleased to see Nobiz Like Shobiz holding fast at 9-1 now 10-1.

- We're having company, as the Head Chef's close friend Eileen is coming. There will be mint juleps, but I might forego the mint portion of the drink.

- I spaced out and missed betting the Woodford, and just as well. Sky Conqueror got the photo at 8-1. Pletcher got caught checking out some babe walking by as ESPN was signing off.

- Eileen is here, and I'm getting inpatient now waiting for the bourbon. I like Shug's horse in the 9th at Belmont, and I'm going to try and crush the exacta with Angelouie, but save with Mott's colt as well.

- Nothing doing from Inquisitive, as Angelouie recovered from getting left at the gate to win.

Tom Hammond blasted Yum Brands over their dumb bonus, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone at NBC is getting a call on his/her cellphone right now.

2 Comments:

Brett said...

Kenny Mayne had to have some mint juleps in him today. He was hilarious!

Huge overlay on Dominican, Great Hunter, and Liquidity. I have a little on all of them and a good amount to show.

My boy though is Circular Quay! He'll come from way back and the Pletcher Oaks/Derby double will come to fruition.

Oh and did I mention I love watching RtR and Circular Quay work together. They should have babies. I would probably bet them too.

SantaBarbarian said...

I think Street Sense is the horse to beat...but I'm liking Liquidity to hit the bottom of the board.

It could be because he's sired by my beloved, Tizzy! (Tiznow)