RSS Feed for this Blog

Monday, May 07, 2007

Higher Ratings

- So Street Sense has now earned his two best Beyers skimming the rail at Churchill Downs. A matter of racing luck? Or does Nafzger just have him primed for the big races?

A lot more people were watching on NBC, at least as compared to last year. The ratings were up 12%.

Last year’s telecast attracted a 7.4 rating, the lowest in the six years that NBC had broadcast the Derby. This year’s rating jumped to 8.3—the highest in 15 years and on par with 2001, ’02, and ’04. [Thoroughbred Times]
I am a bit surprised given the complete lack of any household names in the field, but perhaps it has something to do with all the publicity surrounding Barbaro? I rather doubt it was from all the hockey fans watching the game that preceded it....except in Detroit, of course.

- A bettor at an upstate New York OTB (presumably not reader Jim L.) hit the triple - and lost $13,240.
According to witnesses, the man entered the parlor around noon and asked how much it would cost to buy every possible trifecta combination (a bettor must pick the first three finishers in exact order) in the 20-horse field. After being told it would cost $13,680, he left — presumably to visit his bank.

He returned shortly thereafter, purchased his tickets and left. Unfortunately for the hopeful bettor, the 2007 Derby $2 trifecta payoff of $440 was a far cry from 2005 and 2002 returns. [Rochester Democrat and Chronicle...via Albany Law School Racing and Wagering Today]
The Giacomo triple returned $133,134.80.

- Hystericalady (Distorted Humor) was also a Beyer star, earning a 108 for her win in the Humana Distaff. Molengao (Royal Academy) got a 104 for that monster win in the Mervyn LeRoy; the same as Rags to Riches got for the Oaks.

- Travel plans: When the horses enter the gate for the Preakness, yours truly will be in Nashville, Tennessee. I'm pretty confident that there is no pari-mutuel wagering available anywhere in the state. I wonder if I could be arrested for just calling my OTB account (which I'll now have to really remember to replenish!). A good friend of the Head Chef's is getting married there, and the only consolation is that the wedding starts at noon, so it should be over for me to at least be able to catch the race live.

And, I'm happy to announce that the Head Chef and I are finalizing plans to visit Del Mar this summer! Left at the Gate will become West at the Gate for one week only! She can walk to the beach and farmer's market, and I can walk to the track. What can be bad about that??

4 Comments:

Harl said...

Del Mar is a beautiful track. I checked it out during a San Diego trip, but unfortunately it was about a month before the live meet. I'm planning on going back this year for several days to catch some of the live meet.

Anonymous said...

Dude,
I HATE racing at Del Mar, but I LOVE being at Del Mar. It will change the way you view racetracks forever. Do enjoy!

Brett said...

I really want to go to Del Mar. Watching Entourage last night the crew was there and it just looks magnificent especially in HD. I may make a trip down there next year though.

Anonymous said...

"Or does Nafzger just have him primed for the big races?"
I'm not sure anyone is better than Nafzger at that. Unbridled won the Derby then got beat in every stake he entered until the BC Classic. I remember Nafzger saying in the spring of 2000 that he was going "to paint the canoe" with Unshaded. The horse ran a few decent races that summer but was really ready on Travers Day.

I'm assuming the week in Del Mar will be the week before Saratoga begins.