RSS Feed for this Blog

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

#2633

- When I pack up my car for a track trip, it's usually for Saratoga. So I was thinking scenic drive and Friehoefer's this morning. The line of traffic waiting to get on the BQE jolted me back to reality. The roads leading to the Verrazano Narrows Bridge seem to exist solely for the purpose of doing construction on them, and the trip was s-l-o-w.

I haven't driven to Monmouth in two years; three years since it wasn't raining on the way. That streak remains intact. It's gray, drizzly, getting cooler, and the forecast for Saturday isn't great (though good news that the winds seem to be dying down out in California).

My biggest fear was that I would get to the BC Media Center at the Sheraton and there'd be no credentials for me. Guess what?? It took a phone call to NTRA's Jim Gluckson to straighten it out. Makes me feel like I'm not really welcome! But now I have my pass; it's number 2633. I don't know what this means for my chances of having a spot in the auxiliary press box to sit and write/blog/handicap from. So if I don't get a post up on the BC blog today, you'll know why.

But now I'm fully equipped, and you should see the package of goodies I got, oh man. Besides detailed biographical and statistical information on all the runners and winners past that I could blog off for the rest of the year, I got a nice size cooler, which I won't be permitted to bring into the track. There's a big Breeders' Cup beach towel (also probably too dangerous to bring in; I could smother somebody with it), a TVG woolly cap, a small pair of binoculars, and something from Gray Goose that appears to be some kind of martini related glass/shaker? I wouldn't know about martinis. And I thought they're made with gin anyway? Sue?

3 Comments:

forego is my witness said...

I'm thinking of taking tomorrow off just to hang out at Monmouth and see how they've spruced up my old home track. It's kinda sad Saturday may have rain, but I'm still holding out for a change in the atmosphere. My seat in the 700 section won't provide any cover, that's for sure But what's a little rain between friends and horses?.

Enjoy the swag!

forego is my witness said...

Sad--Cry and Catch Me is scratched!!

Michael said...

Wow Breeders' Cup gives way better schwag than Kentucky Derby. I got Triple Crown hat, KD coffee mug and Twin Spires Pen...that's it, that's the list.

Come to think of it, there was a big Data book on past KD winners that was kind of nice... maybe I should go get that out of my trunk.