RSS Feed for this Blog

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Odds and Ends

- Unbridled Belle is another horse I like who fared poorly in the draw with number 11. I think she may be taken out of her game with so much speed, both front-running and tactical, inside of her. From that post, I think Dominguez will have to lay back further than in the past, or risk getting hung wide into the turn. But I also think she still may be good enough now to win, though her 9-2 morning line seems like borderline value at best.

Excellent Art drew the 13 in the Mile and was tabbed at the 3-1 favorite. That post just about ensures that he's going to have to close from 14th place. Remarkable News drew the 14, but I could see him clearing the field by the turn. The presence of Kip Deville and Cosmonaut should however ensure a fair pace. I like the six post draw by Trippi's Storm, and think I'd be all over him at 8-1. After Market and Jeremy also drew well and have strong closing kicks. Nobiz Like Shobiz is an intriguing prospect, but I'm not sure that the turnback to a mile suits him.

I think that Shore Do (five post) is the biggest morning line overlay of the day at 30-1 in the Juvenile.

The F&M Turf starts right before the grandstand turn, so that can't be good for the horses drawn outside. The good news, at least from a sporting aspect, is that the four top contenders all drew inside, promising what should be a fair and spirited contest. 3-1 seems like a fair price to me for Nashoba's Key.

I think that out of every horse in the Classic, the only one that I would be shocked, or shocked, as Mad Dog would say, if he wins is Diamond Stripes. Not that there's anything wrong with a four-year old son of Notebook who's never been out of the money in eight starts. But he seemed as if he's just a cut below Grade 1 when he ran third in three of them over the summer. I didn't think his Meadowlands Cup was a step forward, and wonder if the distance will be to his liking. Awesome Gem was made 30-1, which seems high for a horse who finished a bare nose behind Tiago....

....who I think you gotta consider at his 12-1 morning line. It's a long run to the first turn, so I don't think that the nine post will be too bad. I'm a little surprised that Brad Thomas made Lawyer Ron the morning line favorite. My opinion is that it will be Curlin.

2 Comments:

El Angelo said...

I'm also shocked LR is the morning line favorite; I have to think either Curlin or Street Sense would get it, especially with the masses pounding familiar names from the Triple Crown.

Anonymous said...

I want to play Tiago, I really do. He has two grade one wins, more than most of the other more highly regarded big names.

If this race was just about anywhere but MTH I would, but just can not see him getting there on this track, even if the race falls apart which I highly doubt.

Exotics yes, win no.