RSS Feed for this Blog

Friday, October 26, 2007

Powerless

- Wouldn't you know it; just when I get set up with my own spot, with my own "Breeders Cup.com" (no apostrophe) sticker and Davidowitz sitting right across the way, the power goes out in my section of the room. Getting a new computer battery is one of the things I didn't get around to before leaving....

They're working on the problem, but I've now moved; thanks to Greg Hall and Jeannie Rees of the Courier-Journal for allowing me to occupy a spot.

There's no simulcasting here today, which really blows. Why, I'd like to know, were they selling the simulcast edition in addition to the regular one if there's no simulcasting?? I should go and demand my $1.50 back.

No Brad Thomas here today, due to TVG's hijacking of the in-house telecast. That's all of our loss....

The track is muddy; speed held well the first two, and I think Hawkinsville might have come off the pace, but I was dealing with moving and kinda missed the race. Be back....

- Gluckson just came by to tell Jeannie Rees that the track super will appear here in the auxiliary pressbox to talk about the track conditions. So I'll of course let you know what he says.

- I was driving home from the Grey Goose party, and I could only pick up the Rangers-Devils game on the Devils station. Sherry Ross, who covered racing for the NY Daily News in addition to her Devils' beat, is now the teams color commentator. I don't know if she's still with the paper at all. But she's certainly not here. I wonder if she was happy being at the Rangers 2-0 win instead. (The Rangers have given up a total of one goal during actual play time of the last three games [including one overtime], but only gained three of the six points for the game.)

- I overheard a couple of people ask Gluckson if the turf races would ever be taken off the grass, and he said that, if there was ever a situation in which it truly became dangerous, they probably just wouldn't run the event. Someone posted half-kidding about moving the entire event for Sunday, when the weather is supposed to be gorgeous. What a shame for the people who have planned the event, but the show will go on and I'm sure it's going to still be a great day. As long as I have power.

4 Comments:

allinfun said...

I know Sherry did a couple of pieces on the Breeders' Cup for the News. I think maybe she just cut back.

Teresa said...

Sherry Ross is one of my heroes, and I wrote about her departure from the Daily News.

her departure from the Daily News. She's written about the BC in the Daily News in the last couple of days, which I was relieved to see. I miss her on the Rangers' beat, but I'd rather have her cover racing than hockey. She started her career as the first woman to do regular radio for the Devils.

Teresa said...

That's what I get for posting while I'm trying to pretend that I'm paying attention in a meeting.

Michael said...

TVG's coverage is pretty bad too -- not that I'm a huge fan of the "A-Team" that they have, but they've certainly carted out the "C-Team" for the Friday coverage.

Where in the hell are Schrupp, Stevens, and Carothers? Did they just get use this as a junket?